Sunday, July 13, 2008

10 Steps to make the perfect bed

Making the bed on a daily basis is something I struggled with for a long time. I read it takes 21 days to establish a habit, so two years ago I set myself the challenge to make the bed as soon as I get up, for 21 days. Before I knew it, it was such a part of my routine (5 minutes of it) that now I do it without even thinking about it. So here it is, the 10 steps to making the (perfect) bed. Once you've practised it, it really does become easier.

These steps do include doing hospital corners for a top sheet- this is of course optional, but it does look very impressive.




Step 1: First thing in the morning, remove all blankets, duvets & pillows from the bed and open those windows for some fresh air.

Step 2: Pull the bottom sheet so that it's nice & smooth.


Step 3: Drape the top sheet over the bed (right side down), with the wider hem at the top of the bed, and tuck the sheet in at the foot of the bed. I've also shown where you need to pinch the sheet for the next step.

Step 4: Pinch the sheet as indicated in step 3, then lift it up and the rest that edge on the top of the bed as shown.


Step 5: Tuck in the part of the sheet that was still hanging down.

Step 6: Now let the side edge of the sheet resting on the bed fall down to the alongside the bed.

Step 7: Tuck in the side edge of the sheet all along the bed. Ta da! You have a hospital corner.

Step 8: This is the important step to make a bed look beautiful... you can tuck in the bottom edge of the quilt if your bed allows, then walk around the bed tugging at the edges to pull the duvet taught. Fold the top of the top sheet over the duvet - beautiful!



Step 9: Fluff the pillows, stack them and tug at the corners of the pillowcases so that they are smooth.

Step 10: Add some display cushions and a throw or blanket to the edge of the bed....

... I promise, you'll love getting into bed even more with the sheets pulled tight, and the corners tucked in.

Sleep tight!!!


PS: Do send me photos if you have a beautifully made bed! I'd love to see them, and I'll post them right here with a link to your blog.

Images are subject to copyright, and belongs to The Linen Cupboard, please contact me if you would like to use any of these images.

3 comments:

Cammi said...

i love your blog! thanks for the great tips on bed making and i need to do that for 21 days :)

Steph said...

I've slept in that very bed as a guest and I have to say it was beautifully made and a delight to climb into. Not only that but the whole guest experience is fantastic every visit so keep reading this blog for some fab tips and techniques. I know I'll keep looking in and learning from the housekeeping guru :)

Debbies-English-Treasures said...

Hello, Debbie is here...
Thanks for the useful tips!
That`s just what I was needing...a little bit of motivation coming your way.
As I`m always rushing after my x3 kiddos I only manage to make the beds at the weekends.
Naughty Naughty I know!
When hubby comes home he will email you with a photo of our guest bedroom bed!
Hope you like it!
Kisses Kisses
Debbie
xxx

A note on perfection

Many of the posts featured on this blog are about doing household chores the correct, or so to say perfect way. My intention is not to make readers feel that the way they are running their households are wrong. So if making the bed, or ironing shirts in a certain way doesn't fit your lifestyle, do not feel guilty about it. But by learning the correct way of doing things it might just come in handy for those times when special guests are staying, or when you need to iron that shirt perfectly for a job interview. So enjoy the learning, but skip the guilt and LOVE your homes. x

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP