Sunday, March 29, 2009

Rhubarb Crumble and gardening

It's been a bit cooler here this week, but my spring cleaning is still underway. Mr Laundrybasketcase was in the mood for a Rhubarb crumble and I found a delicious recipe by Gordon Ramsay which I highly recommend. Rhubarb is of course in season now in the UK, so it's perfect timing, and you should be able to find some delicious fresh rhubarb from a farmer's market now. My gardening skills are not quite good enough to grow my own, but I'm hoping to try it next year. In the meantime try out this recipe - it's got a couple of tweaks from the original.

Rhubarb and Ginger Crumble

  • 500g rhubarb, trimmed
  • 2-3 inch piece of ginger
  • 100g golden caster sugar
  • 40g unsalted butter, cut into cubes
  • Splash of Calvados
For the crumble
  • 50g oats
  • 100g plain flour
  • Pinch of ground cinnamon
  • 45g cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
  • 75g demerara sugar
  • Clotted cream or ice cream, to serve

1. Preheat the oven to 200˚C/gas 6.

2. Cut the rhubarb into 2 inch pieces and halve lengthways if the stems are thick. Peel the ginger.

3. Gently heat the sugar in a pan until dissolved and beginning to caramelise. Add the rhubarb and grate in the ginger. Toss to coat. Gradually add the butter and shake the pan to combine. Allow the rhubarb to caramelise evenly, turning if necessary. Add a splash of dark rum and stand back as the alcohol may flambé. Cook for a further minute until the sauce is thick and syrupy and rhubarb is breaking down.

4. To make the crumble topping place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until evenly combined (if you want to make your crumble mixture a little stickier also add a splash of water at this stage). Transfer the mixture to a bowl until ready to use.

5. Spoon the caramelised rhubarb into the bottom of 4 small individual serving dishes. Sprinkle the crumble mixture on top and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and bubbling.

6. Remove from the oven and serve with a spoonful of clotted cream.

Mmmm... it really is tasty, and I think the reason this recipe is so great is because of the caramelised sugar, yum!

As I mentioned before, I'm a bit of a novice to gardening, but I'm keen to learn. Our back garden has allot of work that needs doing, so I started last year with the front garden. This is what the front looked like when we first moved in.

And this is how it looks now. My next plan is to replace the front path with some stepping stones.

I've also bought a propagator and I'm attempting to grow some verbenas. I've only just planted them last weekend, so I'll keep you posted as they are growing.

Are you any good at gardening? And how's your spring cleaning coming along?
x

7 comments:

Shabby Chick said...

You've made such a big difference to your garden, it looks lovely! We only have a paved courtyard at the front with a few big pots on it in this house. I used to absolutely love gardening before I had children but these days there is too much "help" on offer!!!

Your crumble looks good, I can't stand rhubarb but I'd love it with apple or blackberries :)

Melxxx

Elizabeth said...

You've done a wonderful
job on your garden, and it
looks lovely. Love rhubarb, and thanks for sharing your recipe with us. Wish we could get at our rhubarb, but still feels like winter around here some days in Ontario Canada.

Victoria - Florence and Mary said...

Oh yummy crumble. There's some apple pie in the oven that has my name on it!!!

Victoria xx

Ivy said...

Girrrr! :) You did a great job with your yard make-over.

And Rhubarb is my ultimate favorite!

MelMel said...

I'm licking my lips////you have made my fave pud...ooohhhh I can almost taste it!

Pass me a bowl over...please!

Thank you hunni for your lovely comment!xxxxx

Caroline said...

I love rhubarb & apple stewed. Yummy!!
Great job on your garden

Steph said...

Clotted cream? Looks like a big dollop too ;) Ah well, life isn't worth living if you don't have the occassional treat! The crumble looks yummy though I'm not a rhubarb fan. Pretty colour :) Not that I am a gardner either but I think rhubarb is one of those plants that grows quite happily with minimal effort. Good luck with it!

After my glass studio spring clean/sort out I am moving onto the kitchen. I am fed up of all the old mismatched baskets and things in my cupboards full of baking things, spices etc. I have decided to reorganise and bought some long trough-shape clear containers which I can pull out as and when I need to rummage. I loaded up one with all my herbs and spices and slid it into place, short side out, long side into the cupboard and closed the door... it was about 1/2 an inch too long! Grr! Out came the saw and with one end trimmed down (the lip removed) they fit perfectly! Who needs a man? hehe! I will take some piccies - very dull but I am sure it will appeal to you ;) xx

A note on perfection

Many of the posts featured on this blog are about doing household chores the correct, or so to say perfect way. My intention is not to make readers feel that the way they are running their households are wrong. So if making the bed, or ironing shirts in a certain way doesn't fit your lifestyle, do not feel guilty about it. But by learning the correct way of doing things it might just come in handy for those times when special guests are staying, or when you need to iron that shirt perfectly for a job interview. So enjoy the learning, but skip the guilt and LOVE your homes. x

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP